Prices and all that
As of 2020, the average cost of a chemical peel is $519. We gather this information from the American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS). Naturally, prices may be based on the expertise and qualifications of the person performing the procedure, type of chemical peel performed, time and effort the procedure or treatment requires and the geographic location.
How much does a chemical face peel cost across the US? It’s all about location, really. Majority of all chemical peels occurred on the coasts.
Chemical face peel: everything you need to know
The condition of the skin worries everyone, so it is important to choose the appropriate care. Chemical peeling increases the tone of the skin, smoothes the relief, gets rid of wrinkles and eruptions. It is carried out in almost every cosmetology office, but it is quite realistic to repeat the procedure at home.
To do this it is necessary to purchase special cosmetics, also learn the procedure and follow the basic rules. How and why to do it at home? What do the reviews say? And what are the benefits of the procedure? Let's find out about this together.
About the procedure
First of all, there is factors you have to consider in the total cost of a chemical face peel.
|Type||Superficial, Medium deep or Deep|
|Beauty master||Rookie, experienced, master|
|Consultation or advice||May or may not count|
|Area||If you're a big city dweller, you'll pay more, naturally|
|Aftermath||Follow ups and extras|
Chemical peeling is the removal of the upper layer of the epidermis and the natural exfoliation of dead cells with special chemical compositions. After the procedure, the general condition of the skin improves, it becomes more toned, the number of eruptions decreases and the relief is smoothed. The procedure is usually performed on the face and neck, but also can be performed on the hands, arms and décolleté.
The procedure is best carried out in a cosmetology office, but you can also do it at home if you choose the right composition. Regardless of the agent used, the result is the following: the connection between the cells is reduced, so they are easier to remove and regeneration of the skin occurs.
Types of chemical face peel:
- superficial is the most gentle option, because glycolic or salicylic acid is used for it. There is only a slight burning sensation in the process. This type of procedure removes black spots, makes acne marks less visible and reduces pigmentation;
- medium-deep - where the concentration of salicylic acid and trichloroacetic acid is higher, but the result is also more noticeable. This type of peeling is used against wrinkles, scars and pronounced pigmentation;
- deep is used against deep wrinkles and scars. Quite painful to be honest. Recovery process takes two weeks and the procedure is repeated no more than twice in a lifetime.
Pros and cons
The benefits of the procedure are huge, and the result is noticeable immediately:
- the skin relief is leveled, the scars become less noticeable;
- acne marks and black spots disappear;
- skin tone increases, its color improves;
- pigmentation marks disappear;
- small wrinkles are smoothed out.
But there can also be harm if the composition is not chosen correctly or technique is not followed. Unpleasant feelings during the procedure in the form of burning and tingling, you can get burns, allergic reactions (redness, swelling, rashes, inflammation of wounds) and prolonged healing. Quite unpleasant, we agree.
Contraindications include hypersensitivity of the skin, the presence of scars and injuries. It is necessary to consult with a cosmetologist who will assess the condition of the skin and give recommendations for care.
How to do a chemical face peel: all the nuances of the procedure
- First of all, you have to select composition for the treatment;
- Then remove all the makeup from your face and apply a special preparatory agent;
- A chemical composition is applied on top;
- The composition is removed with a neutralizing agent;
- Moisturizing and soothing agent is applied on top.
One session lasts from 25 to 60 minutes. During a deep or medium-deep peeling local anesthesia is applied, as the procedure is quite painful. A superficial peel can be done every three months and a deep peel is repeated no more than twice in a lifetime. Preparation for the procedure is not required but it is better not to sunbathe the day before the procedure.
After chemical peeling do not overdo it with makeup, and better yet avoid it for a couple of days. Use lightweight cosmetics and revitalizing creams, do not sunbathe the first week and if inflammation occurs, wipe the skin with antibacterial agents.
Chemical peel solution types
Fruit acid, glycolic acid, lactic acid and calcium chloride peels can be classified as light chemical peel types and performed at home as well. Medium and deep chemical peel solutions usually include trichloroacetic acid, 30% salicylic acid and phenol.
It is highly recommended to schedule an appointment with your esthetician prior to any skin treatment and to use products from reputable brands with good reviews only. The first days after the treatment your skin might look damaged, so better do not expect quick results. However, soon after the full recovery you will enjoy beautiful, fresh-looking and glowing skin.